Thursday, January 12, 2012

05 January 2012


I travel a lot for work, and I live in an apartment building that does not have a facility for receiving packages. Moreover, I order many things online because it's substantially simpler than going shopping in a store, not to mention far a more economical use of my time.

Rather than permit UPS, FedEx, and USPS to stack packages by my door for a week at the time, I use the office as my shipping address. There I can trust the people to hold my shipments until I return. Given the tons of materials the office ships and receives, my little bit is hardly a dent in the surface, but at Christmas, I have more.

Two men at work are responsible for shipping and receiving, and they are very good with setting my packages aside, looking over them as though it was their job. I always thank them when they hand me a box, and I try to get them a beer or three when the company has an outing somewhere that serves beer, which is far too seldom, but we know how these gestures are quickly forgotten.

Today, I send them each a card. Yes, I know that breaks my one-a-day rule, but this is a reasonable violation. Besides, how would I ever be able to face the one who didn't get a card? Or look at him in the interim until his card arrived?

They're good men, and I want them to have tangible evidence of my appreciation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment