Saturday, January 14, 2012

07 January 2012


The last 10 to 12 years have been a period of relative darkness for me, and by darkness, I don't mean depression, though there have been rounds and bouts with that. You come out at the tender age of 50, live in a world filled with hate, survive, and then we'll discuss your accumulation of scars. And memories.

This time what I mean by darkness is the physical onslaught of the medications associated with growing older. Cholesterol and blood pressure medications. For some ten years, I took an assortment of these and slowly gave in to the side effects. Statins with their cramping. ACE inhibitors with their debilitating cough. ARBs and lethargy. Beta blockers and even more lethargy.

This meant that the fellow who ran 50 miles a week and went to Tae Kwon Do training three and four times a week slowed down, got fat, and became an old man. A fat old man. Now, I can read calendars and look in mirrors as well as the next guy, and I'm not naive enough to think I'm immune to the ravages of time, but I see no reason to pay good money for chronic fatigue and cramping.

Last month, I though I was headed for another round on the downward spiral, but I got smart, and went to a chiropractor. In three weeks, she turned it around. I think she'll be on retainer for a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment