Friday, January 20, 2012

13 January 2012


I have has the odd fortune of working with some of the best and the worst bosses imaginable. I won't go into detail regarding the bad bosses, not here. I won't mention their endless need to control and micromanage all the while never communicating what it was they wanted done, much less empowering the peeps to make a decision and move on. No, that's a topic for another project, the one about how to not lead.

Of the good bosses I've had, they each defined what they wanted to happen, and then left me to make it happen in the best manner I could. They knew, or at least learned quickly, that it's imprudent to solve my problems. Just because I'm emoting (e.g., whining) about something or someone is not an invitation to take direct action. It's more an invitation to nod in agreement.

More than one person has told me I needed a dog to whom I'd explain things, even when I studied Physics. Later when I was working on Statistics, I had a cat who sat on the table with my books and papers, pointing out my mistakes with her tail.

These days, I have one of the better bosses. (I won't say best because he reads this mess, and I don't want him to get a big head.) Today, I stepped into the office on my day off to pick up the chair I'm sitting in now. I bid him farewell on my way out, and he hopped up to get the front door for me. What he didn't now is that I had a very vocal surgical incision on my tummy, and I wasn't sure how I'd hold the chair and open that door. He gets today's note.

No comments:

Post a Comment