Monday, February 13, 2012

06 February 2012


I used to bake bread frequently. A wedding present even included a huge, heavy bowl specifically designed to withstand the rigors of kneading bread without sliding all over the counter. Of course, things change, they always do, and that bowl stayed where I I was while I moved on. It's not like I have room in my little kitchen for more than a coffee pot, and I already have my grandmother's biscuit pan anyway, the one carved by my grandfather some 100 years ago.

Yes, I’m better off, and that's for many reasons.

So, last month, a peep brings a bread maker for me to borrow. I had one of these back in the day, and I used it a lot, but making bread was something that changed along with the rest of the world, and that was likely a step backward. The problem now is that I'll likely wear this machine out, and that'll leave me having to buy a new one some day, assuming these things are still made.

In the meantime, there's a plenty of good bread for all sorts of purposes, not the least being cinnamon toast. There's also bread to ship to Lily and Josh, and that's expensive bread, what with the shipping, but there's not much to compare with receiving a package from home. The gift of being able to make a little bread for the peeps is worth a card, probably more, but we'll settle for the card until that lottery win comes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment