Wednesday, February 22, 2012

15 February 2012


This is the season when we prepare for presentations at professional conferences. In my case, these are presentations about specialized statistics delivered to relatively smart people who need a passing understanding but who are prepared to dive deep into the underpinning. It's much like teaching the undergraduate classes, that's very close to how I conceptualize the preparation and delivery.

The content of these presentations is not a problem, as long as I remember that I'm not speaking to a class of doctoral students. I also have to remember to remind the audience that the next hour is not for the psychometricians. You might wonder why another psycho would be in the audience, as do I, and I'm pretty sure it's not for the enlightenment. It's more likely an endeavor to gather ammunition for later use.

Sadly, the rules of engagement require that we use PowerPoint, and that alone can be a kiss of death for most of the people watching. Bundle that with the standardized template that is rarely complementary to the slides we build, and you have a sure recipe for audible and visual Ambien.

Enter our editor who is quite adept at taking our content and rendering it acceptable for human consumption. She make us look good, perhaps gooderer than we are, but I won't go there. I'll just mail a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment