Friday, March 2, 2012

24 February 2012


Last Christmas, Lil gave me a bottle of rum, not just any bottle and not just any rum, but a product of Brazil. It was some excellent rum, and I took care of it in good fashion.

However, I’m not here to write Lil a card thanking her for the rum. I did that already. What I’m writing about this time is the bottle. It's tall and thin, like a runway model. There's the usual label, but I'll remove that with a long soak in hot, soapy water. What I won't remove is the leather wrap with an embossed map of Brazil.

This bottle looks as good as the rum tasted, and it'll last a lot longer. There're also fewer calories involved, but that's a little derivative to pursue here. The bottle will take on a second life in my newly redone office where we are in desperate need of decent vases. Given that the bottle is so tall, it'll need flowers with long stems, and not too many of them because being tall, the bottle has a high center of gravity, which will lead to unfortunate tippage.

And there we are, thanking Lily for a tendril of non-linear reflection that will take me from whatever has my attention in the work-a-day world to a quiet alcove by the sea in a latitude less likely to promote a need for blood pressure medication. Just aspirin and sun screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment