Wednesday, April 11, 2012

04 April 2012


Not so long ago, we put up a chalkboard in the office I share. Okay, we didn't so much put up a board as much as we painted the wall with special paint. Nonetheless, we have a chalkboard, and that means people come by to write on it. We should encourage free expression wherever we can because it often leads to good ideas that would have otherwise gone fallow.

It also leads to some pleasant cognitive stimulation. Today, I opened the door only to be greeted by a mathematical proof that appeared to dispute the Pythagorean Theorem written on the board by a colleague. It took a minute or two, well more like a half-day, to find the problem, but I found it, proclaiming my colleague to be Evil, stressed on the second syllable.

The thing is that it's been well over a decade since someone did something like that, and I found myself missing the intellectual stimulation. Most of us are so busy making a living that we don't take time to have fun with it, and in doing so, we become relatively dull people. Today's peep brought a welcomed spark into my corner of the world, and he's going to get a card that will likely surprise him.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I work with a lot of nerds and I don't get that kind of fun. Well i do work on Algebra all day...so I guess I do just virtually.

    Hubs got me white board stickers for xmas. I have one on my door and one my desk to scribble on. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete