Thursday, April 19, 2012

12 April 2012


A colleague called me into his office today. He wanted me to review some questions he had written as examples in an online training session for writing test questions. Yes, he was writing questions about writing questions.

As I expected, he had written some good ones, though I think they were too difficult for use with his stated purpose. I told him this, and then suggested that he add some easier questions about questions to soften the blow a little.

I left his office realizing that if I ever find myself back in the professorate, something I really wouldn't mind under the right conditions, his questions could easily be recast for use on a doctoral prelim exam. Yeah, they were that hard.

Nonetheless, he made me think, and carefully so lest I embarrass myself in his presence, not that I haven't already done that a dozen times before. I found that little bit of cognitive stimulation pleasant, much like the earlier false proof of the Pythagorean Theorem. He will roll his eyes over this, but I'm sending a card for that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment