Tuesday, April 24, 2012

17 April 2012


Ages ago, I worked in a computer shop in Greensboro, and I asked about working from home occasionally to facilitate finishing the development of a long series of documentation regarding computer software. Nope. Can't do that. You might paint your house. This was 25 years ago. It's a little easier now to forgive that boss regarding working inefficiency because he just plain didn't know any better, and he was too close to retirement to risk any change that would have brought him one step out of the Jurassic.

Fast forward to now. It's a busy time at work this season. Every department has it's own set of challenges, and I've been working from home over half the time to facilitate staying on schedule. Few, if any, even raise an eyebrow over my work habits. Well, if they do, they don't say anything within earshot, and yes, sometimes the work day start's late and sometimes it runs late, everything depending on the schedule necessary to get the work done accurately and on time, if not ahead, and still retain some vestige of humanity.

A flexible schedule means a lot to me, and it probably goes as far as anything to keep me happy at work. This means the Big Boss is getting a card for supporting flexible schedules. I don't think he really understands the idea, mainly because he appears personally to need to be in the office to work, but he accepts and permits our scheduling, and that's all I can really ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment