Saturday, May 26, 2012

19 May 2012


When I came out some 10 years ago, I lost a lot of friends, and for as sad as that was, I saw it as a necessity. If those people could not deal with me as a gay man, and that was the only difference and change before them, I considered them not worth the trouble, and unlikely to have been friends in the first place.

Nonetheless, many of those people maintained contacts with the ex and the children. I considered that reasonable. I still do, especially now that the children are grown and able to process information and make decisions for themselves.

One of those lost souls was Josh's godfather. We had dinner once after the grand announcement by the ex of my coming out, and that was that. He was very nervous then. I don't know what that was about. I can't imagine I was the first gay person he knew. Maybe he figured I was going to hit on him, or something. Maybe he thought I was planning to abandon the children. Frankly, I didn't spend much time sorting through it. I just wrote him off.

Then he appears at Josh's graduation, missing his own grandson's graduation to be there. It was a pleasant, if brief, reunion. Today, he brought over a suitcase he transported for Josh, along with a CD of graduation pictures for me. We'll see how this progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment