Tuesday, June 19, 2012

12 June 2012


I’m on a road trip to present a proposal from our company to an organization that has worked with us before. I’m also presenting alone, which is uncommon, but not a problem. My role is to look decent and be, generally, smart for a couple of hours. As you might suspect, both can be a challenge for me.

Nonetheless, I pulled out a suit, found a tie, read my materials, and prepared to give the organization two hours of free consulting. That's what these activities often are. Most organizations, especially as they're deciding what to do, really haven't developed a clear picture of what they want, not at this point, though they might think they know, and a large part of my job is to help them talk through options.

It's not bad duty, as duty goes.

However, there's an awful lot of work that goes on long before I receive my materials. Countless hours, we might say, though I’m sure someone really did count them. Without her work, I could not do my part. Not at all.

She deserves more than this card, perhaps bourbon. Well, more likely Vicodin. Perhaps the ink from this fountain pen will buy her a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment